Experiences of a FileMaker Pro Database Developer

It’s Been a While

It’s been a while since I posted to this blog. No excuses, just adjusting to working full time. There has been a lot going on with my FileMaker development and I even heard from Commander “Devil Doc” Baker who’s now stationed at Camp Lejeune. It was sure good to hear from him and more on that in a separate post soon.

I’ve been caught up in the day-to-day routine trouble shooting of data that I find it hard to carve out time for pure development. This is one of the challenges that I face working full time. Are data issues due to system development, user input or bad or missing data within exchange systems? They are any number or combinations of these. Only if…

  • Users would just read those dialog boxes that we so thoughtfully place within the routine.
  • We could always test ever single iteration and option of any new piece of code with reliable testers, and then do it again.
  • Third parties that we rely on to suck data into our systems would just be consistent.

So, here’s a glimpse of what’s coming up in the very near future, in no particular order:

  • Update on Commander “Devil Doc” Baker
  • FileMaker 12 – Part 2
  • Pieces of Code & Things That Go Bump During Development
  • What Was I Thinking? Revisiting Code You Once Thought Was Good

I plan to make a few changes and to spend a little more time contributing here. There will be a new section I can deposit snippets of development pieces, primarily for my own use so I can find them again and re-use them. And, to share with you, hopefully helping in some small way.

Post to Twitter

FileMaker 12 Review – Part 1

We've been running the FileMaker 12 family of products since August 2012. These are my impressions and experiences in a real world, live development environment. My experience is taking an existing FileMaker 11 solution and converting it to run in … [Continue reading]

Creating QR Codes with FileMaker and KAYWA API

I want to thank Kevin Murphy for submitting his FileMaker QR Code solution using the KAYWA API for creating QR Codes. With the fate of Google's API for creating QR Codes unknown, it's good to see alternative solutions. Kevin's recent submission has … [Continue reading]

Recent Changes

I've recently made several changes and have been absent for a while in both the FileMaker community as well as my blog. I hope to be on track in the next few weeks as I dive into some new tools for optimization and new areas with FileMaker products. … [Continue reading]

A Time for Thanks

It's that time of year to celebrate Thanksgiving, to be thankful for the many blessing that we all have. This year, I have the pleasure of working with a military psychiatrist, CDR Alfredo “Devil Doc” Baker, MD, MC, USN, who is stationed in … [Continue reading]

Helping Our Soldiers Quit Smoking, Part 3


Planning the Database The way I see the Tobacco Cessation database laying out is that there will essentially be two tables. One table stores the Marine & Sailor's basic information. This is the people table. In this table is everything that … [Continue reading]

FileMaker Server, Please Abort Cancelled Finds!

I'm usually not one that likes to rant or get on a soapbox. I find this unproductive and I'm not really sure it does much to contribute, plus I feel that most readers don't like a complainer. However, there is one topic that I'm in a uproar … [Continue reading]

Helping Our Soldiers Quit Smoking, Part 2

Recommendations for Resources: Where to start with FileMaker Pro This is part 2 of a case study that will follow the development of a FileMaker database by a military psychiatrist to assist with his smoking cessation program for his Marines & … [Continue reading]

Helping our Soldiers Quit Smoking, Part 1

*This is part 1 of a case study that will follow how we get organized and setup a relational database with FileMaker Pro. Today was an interesting day and one that makes me a bit more proud to be an American. Although I have relatives and friends … [Continue reading]

Import Fails on FileMaker Server

Yep, it got me last night. I wrote a script to import data into a reporting system (post coming soon on optimizing reporting). It worked fine on FileMaker Pro client, but failed when I implemented the script to run server-side. I thought I would add … [Continue reading]